Discover all data sources and SaaS used by your company to eliminate risk and support privacy and compliance operations
Replace endless hours and manual work with automated real-time data mapping. Easily export your GDPR compliance Records of Processing Activity (RoPA).
There are three steps to build your data Inventory.
To archive systems, add custom fields, and for other ways to manage your Data Inventory, click here
Step 1: Collect & manage your Data Sources
To get started with auto-discovery:
- In your Privacy Portal, head to your Data Inventory page within the Data Mapping panel and click on "Start discovery".
- Next, connect to your Microsoft or Google account
- By doing so, Mine automatically discovers every system that collects, stores, or processes user data across your organization. This also includes dormant accounts related to past employees (shadow-IT).
- Invite coworkers to auto-discovery to connect more accounts
- After connecting your account(s), your inventory page will update with automated list of your company's data sources!
Mine's auto-discovery is real-time and continuous, allowing you to monitor any new data source added to your record. In addition, data sources will be transparent and visible according to use and departments within the company.
Note: You can also add systems manually after enabling auto-discovery - see below.
Auto-discovery is a premium feature. Get a free personal onboarding or talk to us to learn more.
Discover employees with access to your company’s data.
To view employees per data source:
- From your Data Mapping page: the column "Coworkers" will show you which employees have access to the corresponding data source by clicking "See all".
To view data sources per employee:
- Click on "connected accounts" on the top righthand side of the Data Mapping page, where a list of connected coworkers will appear
- Under the data sources column, click "See all" to expand the list of data sources per employee.
To add sources manually:
You can choose data sources already in Mine's catalog or create a custom system. Here's how:
- In your Privacy Portal, head to your Data Inventory page within the Data Mapping panel and click on "Add data sources"
- To add an existing system, search & select available systems within the catalog
To add a custom system, select "Add custom data source", the first option in the systems catalog
Step 2: Find & tailor data categories to your industry
Note: To continue on to step 2 of data mapping, you must have at least 5 data sources in your inventory.
After collecting your Data Sources, the next step of the Data Mapping process is to discover the data categories your company is collecting. Here's how:
- Click on "Find categories" (see image below)
- Next, select your industry from the provided list to tailor data categories
- After selecting your industry, the available data categories will update automatically per each data source!
Step 3: Generate RoPA
The final step of the Data Mapping process & to GDPR compliance is to generate your Record of Processing Activities, or RoPA Report.
- Click on "Generate ROPA"
- When your RoPA Report is complete, you can click "View ROPA" on the upper righthand corner of your Data Inventory page and view the number of processing activities per data source.
- You can add, remove, or edit properties of your RoPA Report, click here to see how.
Data category discovery and the generation of a RoPA Report are both one-time features. Talk to us to revert or upgrade your plan.
Managing your Data Inventory
To archive a system you no longer need or remove a data source from your list, click on the data source you want to archive, and click on "Archive" on the lefthand side of the page.
Note: You cannot archive systems that are being used for request handling or your RoPA report.
To unarchive systems, head to the bottom lefthand corner of your Data Inventory page and click "View".
Or, filter your Data Inventory by status.
To unarchive, click on the "Unarchive" button next to the desired data source.
Adding custom fields
Add more details to your data sources to suit company needs. You can do so from within a data source's general component, or from your Portal settings under the "Inventory" tab (see below).
To create a new field, simply enter the name of the desired field as shown below and click "Save".
Note: You can add up to 3 custom fields
Upon saving, your custom field will now be available within every data source's general component where you can add the relevant information.
To add or remove custom fields from view in your Data Inventory, click on "Columns" and select the desired display (see below).
To remove fields, head to your Portal settings page. Under the "Inventory" tab, your Inventory fields will appear where you can delete those you no longer need.
If you have questions about the Data Mapping process, talk to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to help!🙂